Federal Minister Ch. Muhammad Barjees Tahir attended Senate's Standing Committee on KA &GB

November 19, 2013

 Senate’s Standing Committee on Foreign Relations disclosed on Tuesday that the assassins who killed 11 foreign tourists in Nanga Parbat in June wanted to kidnap them for ransom.

Putting forward an investigation report on the incident, Home Secretary Gilgit-Baltistan (G-B) Dr Attaur Rehman said that the militants had not planned to kill the tourists but, instead, wanted to kidnap the group to demand ransom.

Minister for Kashmir Affairs and Gilgit-Baltistan Chaudhry Barjees Tahir assured that the government was making all efforts to ensure security to tourists visiting G-B.

He said that a summary for instituting a 2,000-strong special force to patrol the Karakoram Highway (KKH) had been prepared and would be tabled before the federal cabinet for approval.

He further said that to promote tourism, the government had taken a number of steps andorganised the Silk Route Festival recently. Diplomats from as many as 22 countries were brought to GB. They showed interest in investment in the region.